Wednesday, June 17, 2009

STATEMENT OF FAITH (under constant reconsideration)

I believe in God.
My belief is provoked by God’s love for me, which is an act of grace.
God’s grace also has provided me with a measure of faith
by which I am able to believe.
My first experience of God’s love
was through the loving nurture of my family.
Having been conceived in the nuptial embrace
of my father and mother,
I was born into this world a helpless human being
wholly dependent on others.
My whole experience of love in the beginning was erotic.
As I matured, I discovered more mutual ways of loving
and began to love others less self-interestedly.

Through my family I came to accept the Bible as the Word of God.
Because of my family, I found myself in a community of people
who gathered together in the name of Jesus Christ.
As I matured in this community, I came to an understanding
that
I must make a personal decision concerning reconciliation to God
given that my relationship to God is not right
apart from accepting Jesus Christ as the way to be reconciled to God.
I trusted my family and the Christian community to which I belonged,
believing them to be truthful in teaching me these things.

Given my understanding of God,
especially how God is holy
and how we too should live holy lives,
I often found myself at odds with my profession of faith,
finding resolution
in confession and repentance,
but not enduring in my resolve
to live in such a way as to be found holy in all I thought, said or did.
I developed secretive habits that became part of my lifestyle
that provoked much awareness
for the need of confession and repentance,
yet miserably persisted.

I believe the grace of God kept me in spite of my persistent sin.
It is my hope
that the character of Christ Jesus is forming in me
by the work of the Holy Spirit.
Thank God for his lavish goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment