Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Begin here in God and God will take you there.

God is God, beyond comprehension.
God provides, by His Spirit alongside/within/all about us,
what we require to think of Him,
but we must not think that our thoughts can wholly comprehend Him.
We have the Word of God
to which we must go to measure our musings against His awesome Majesty.
In doing so, we will inevitably end up like Job, who confessed,
"I have uttered what I did not understand.
Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
... I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you.
Therefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes."

We might learn also from Elijah's experience,
who, in beholding the LORD's passing by, realized where the LORD was not.
This recalls the via negativa
to which theo-philosophical discussion must usually resort.
Transcendence is troubling to those trying to take God's measure.
Immanence is God's solution,
and that is found in the person of Jesus Christ.
Begin here in Him and He will take you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment