Saturday, April 3, 2010

MOTHER'S SON

a meditation for Good Friday, 20210

I stood by the cross.
There were others there, but only one with me,
the one my son loved.
I heard my son speak
(how could he even breathe, let alone say a word?)
“Woman, behold, your son.”
And again he spoke,
this time to the one he loved,
“Behold, your mother.”
How may I be another’s mother
when the son who is my very own
will die?

Simeon had blessed me with my husband when he found us in the temple long ago. The words he spoke revealed so much, to hear his words amazed us! He took our son into his arms and, blessing God, spoke aloud with joy, “Now, Master, may you let your servant go in peace, according to your Word, For my eyes have seen salvation that is come from you, a sight prepared to be seen by so many others here in Israel, if only they weren’t blind; even others beyond our borders can be enlightened by the glory of your son.”

My son still in his arms, Simeon turned to me to say one final word of prophecy, “Behold this child,” Simeon stared right at me with my son held high, “his destiny lies with the fall and rise of many in Israel and …” (he then spoke a word to me) “so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed,you yourself a sword will pierce” (that word resounded time and time again, up ‘til today as it thunders loudly like the storm I see about to break).

“Son, why have you done this to us?” This I said to him way back when he had seemed to wander off, and made me and his father greatly anxious. When that once we found him among teachers in the temple, my son said simply, “Why were you looking for me?” He asked us why, as though it should have been obvious to us, (even though it never was), “Did you not know that I must be about my Father’s business?”

We did not understand what he said to us, not then, nor do I now, except I have continually kept these things, everything my son has said, and I keep pondering all of them in my sword-pierced heart.

“Do not be afraid,” the angel said, to me and to my husband, and to the shepherds, who were blessed to hear the message of my son. “Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.” All who heard this message of great joy were greatly amazed, and me as much as them! This message of my son was meant to bring great joy, and all this time I have kept these things, pondering them, reflecting on them in my heart.

Some people demand some proof on which to firmly fix their faith. For me it was the proof that made demands, proof so passionate it could not be denied. My body bore this very proof, now here I am in the process of being proven myself.

My son, my son, my own amazing joy!
What place can ever be home
without you there?
All I have left
is to devote myself to prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment